Mar 19, 2014

San Xavier del Bac Mission

"A National Historic Landmark, San Xavier Mission was founded as a Catholic mission by Father Eusebio Kino in 1692.  Construction of the current church began in 1783 and was completed in 1797.  The oldest intact European structure in Arizona, the church's interior is filled with marvelous original statuary and mural paintings.  It is a place where visitors can truly step back in time and enter an authentic 18th century space.  The church retains its original purpose of ministering to the religions needs of its parishioners."

I am so smart when I have Google.

I have been to this beautiful mission many times and, like Tumacacori, I never tire of it.   We didn't have much time to look at it again.  We got there a little after 4:00 and there was a funeral scheduled for 4:30.  The priest at the door was waiting for the casket and the funeral people to arrive and he graciously allowed us to go in for a few minutes anyway.   On the way out he told us a few things about the building.   Then the casket arrived and we had to get out of there.

And again, I truly love black and white photos.  I think they show the architecture better than colors.  But hey!  That may just be me.


Inside - people getting ready to set up for the funeral.  Not the greatest photo but you get the drift.


My favorite thing about this building are the doors.  They are original.  Think over 200 year old doors. 


The wall decor is original.  It was painted that way in the building of it, but they have kept it up exactly after all these years.   Thank Heavens!!  What amazes me about this is the geometry used in that time.  Who would have thought of this in  the 1700's.   Apparently a lot of people.   This door is looking into the old baptistry.



It's more fun to be able to walk up there and look at each of these artistic items that were built then.  It's all original.   But we had to respect the dead that day.   I suppose this is the table the casket was put upon although it looks like items are on it now.   If I'd been by myself, I'd have stayed for the service on the back bench.  Hey!   I'm always willing to learn something.

 And that's the end of Friday's road trip.   There may be more.  Who knows.  DD hasn't ever seen Sedona.  I've got three more months to show her everything in the state and then she's going to Australia for 18 months.

 The  joy we encountered on the way home on I-10.

 


9 comments:

  1. Amazing! This is the kind of thing I love about Arizona. Of course, the varied terrain, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nestled in the Sonoran desert with the jagged Tucson Mtns. in the backdrop...it's a perfect setting. The last time I was there they were doing a lot of renovations. Oh, and the Native Americas were selling turquoise jewelry on the grounds and Indian Bread! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That place is gorgeous. And all the history there wonderful. Just to be able to stand inside it for a few minutes was worth the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful place that is...I've only seen buildings like that in old western movies. I must admit I studied the picture of the door looking for bullet holes. It seems churches were always getting shot up in the old movies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful old doors, great graphics, and a funeral. And you would have liked to stay watching from the back bench? That's how rumors get started.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Roe!

    Awesome pictures! I love old buildings, and old churches are the best! Beautiful pictures! I don't envy the roadways...we are pretty lucky here in Idaho!

    Hugs,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, yes! I remember this place. It is GORGEOUS! Thank you for reminding me about it.
    Cheryl Ann

    ReplyDelete
  8. amazing interior! really wonderful exterior, too! ornate and old - can't beat it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is really beautiful! I bet you could go here ten times and still not see everything.

    ReplyDelete